Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Reusing Leftover Flower Vases

My childhood friend, Julie, recently wrote to me with this question...

"Have you considered doing a segment on leftover flower vases? I mention this because I recently had a birthday and received a lovely vase of sunflowers (my favorite). Like most people, I have a whole bunch of flower vases stored away. What I'd really like are some ideas on what to do with them besides making flower arrangements."

I hope you had a wonderful birthday, Julie! I'd be delighted to share some of my organizing ideas for re-using leftover flower vases in your home. But first...

Making her appearance for the very first time, I'd like to introduce you to my adorable dog Sydney! She's a border collie/husky mix, and she's going to be my model for today. She was such a sweet little thing and sat so still while I took her picture. What a good girl!

Now, back to the flower vases! I used this leftover glass flower vase to plant an herb garden on my windowsill. I added little rocks to the bottom so the roots will have enough drainage to grow.

This particular variety of basil has purple flowers that I think are just beautiful. I'm going to be planting some rosemary, parsley, oregano, and cilantro, too.

Here are some more ideas for reusing leftover flower vases...
make-up brushes in the bathroom
extra toothbrushes in the bathroom
plastic combs in the bathroom
hair accessories in the closet
spare change in the closet
pens and pencils on desk
scissors in the arts & crafts room
paint brushes in the arts & crafts room
puppy treats in the pantry
people snacks in the pantry
scrub brushes under the kitchen sink
vitamins on the kitchen table
wooden spoons on the kitchen counter
yarn and knitting/crochet needles on a nightstand
lemons and limes as a centerpiece
breadsticks on the dinner table
sipping straws at a party
garden gloves in the garage
box tops in the garage
decks of cards in the game area

This is Sydney visiting with Sadie, our next door neighbor's dog. Isn't it amazing how they look so much alike and their names are so similar, too? Sydney and Sadie are best friends and have lots of fun getting together for play dates.

Playing is lots of hard work!

I think I need a rest.

Ready for playtime again!

Well, I'm off to go play ball with Sydney now! She loves to play as long as I chase her, and she won't retrieve unless I bring her puppy treats. (Is she a little spoiled, or what???;)) I hope you like these ideas for flower vases and until next time, happy organizing & saving!

Cathy : )

2 comments:

  1. Your dog is beautiful! What a pretty coat. I love the name Sydney.

    And I love your yard! What a treat to have such good weather for growing all kinds of plants!

    ReplyDelete